We Defy Augury Episode Fifty!

The universe did NOT want me to finish the fiftieth episode of We Defy Augury: I had to re-record audio because an unshielded XLR cable allowed electromagnetic radiation to produce an unbearable hum and then a bunch of inexplicable five-second "holes" appeared in this audio when I was nearly done mixing things down, so I had to patch in little bits and pieces of my voice-- I was also a bit ambitious and wove in audio clips and clips of me playing the guitar-- and it was hard to record simultaneous vocal audio and guitar audio . . . basically, this one was a nightmare but I patiently pieced it together and I think it turned out pretty well, despite all the weird obstacles . . . the episode is called "Let's Talk About Celine Dion: Does Your Taste Stand on Solid Ground?" and my thoughts and ruminations are (loosely) based on Carl Wilson's music criticism masterpiece Let's Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste . . . and there are plenty of special guests: Celine Dion, Huey Lewis and the News, New Found Glory, Robert Johnson, Greensky Bluegrass, The Easy Star All Stars, Bas Gaakeer & Mireille Bittar, Joey Satriani, David Berman, Pavement, Beavis and Butthead, David St. Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel, greasetruck, and Pythagoras.

5 comments:

rob said...

quite enjoyed this one. don't often get references to robert mapplethorpe's fisting work in mainstream podcasting. you'll enjoy dave's singing 'i am glad' and 'i am sad' and trying to figure out why it sounds exactly the same.

Whitney said...

Congrats, this is actually a really cool accomplishment. Keep it going!

Professor G. Truck said...

thanks! oh no-- you can't hear the difference between the major and minor third? that's trouble . . .

rob said...

one can hear it on the guitar. professor truck's vocal range? not so much.

rob said...

or maybe i'm tone deaf

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.