Shakespeare Didn't Have a Phone

Another day without a cell-phone, so another day with no Wordle or Mini, another day not knowing what's going on with my wife, children and friends, and another day without as much dicking around looking at the weather and the Times headlines-- and it's fitting I don't have a phone, since my Shakespeare class has just begun-- Shakespeare didn't have a phone and he got a hell of a lot of writing accomplished-- but, though the Black Death was always lurking around, Shakespeare didn't have to wear a mask-- and I found out today that reading Shakespeare in a mask is difficult, as he uses a lot of sibilance, rhythm, and loud phrasing so the actors can project his lines-- which leads to a moist and gross mask . . . so I'm looking forward to the end of the mask mandate, which should expire March 7 and we can rip our masks off and burn them and show our stupid faces to the masses (although I try to eat and drink as much as possible in class, so that I don't have to wear mine).

4 comments:

Marls said...

BTW, what did Stacey text you on if your phone was dead? Are you telepathic?

zman said...

She passed him a note in the hallway like people did in the 90s.

Marls said...

She could have made an announcement meant over the PA.

“Dave, today is an A day. Please report to the machine shop. Your students are unattended.”

Dave said...

the text happened before my phone died in the washer

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.