It's Comment Appreciation Day!

Yesterday was quite a day for me-- I don't handle changes in routine all that well, and I get very nervous when I'm involved in any kind of "special event"-- although I know other people enjoy "special events" and that once I get involved with the "special event," I tend to enjoy it as well . . . but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to plan a special event, and there are too many things that can go wrong with a special event and people get their hopes up about the special event and then there's a chance that their hopes might be shattered; I should recognize that people are more resilient than I give them credit for, but-- in the end-- this is why I like normal events that turn out a little bit better than expected-- but despite these feelings, yesterday, for the benefit of my students, I got involved in a special event . . . and while it turned out fabulously in the end, I didn't receive much help or credit from my administration, and so once the day was through-- in true melodramatic Dave fashion-- I indignantly pounded out my story and posted it up and while folks could have taken some cheap shots at my mock-epic tone (or ignored my rant altogether) instead I got some awesome comments from my friends Zman and Rob, award winning comments worthy enough of front page status:

first, zman noticed something ironically wonderful in how I wrote my big takeaway . . .

 zman quoted me . . .

"it's all in the revision and editing . . . very few people do anything good not he first try"

Well said.

then zman reminisced with an excellent anecdote:


zman said...

Parts of this "sentence" remind me of the time I checked into the Fairfield Inn in Raleigh NC, a low-slung place near the airport. I went to my room on the third floor, set my stuff down, started to unpack, and realized that there was a swarm of ants on and around the desk. I brought all my stuff downstairs and told the guy at the desk. He said "Yeah we have ants on the third floor." I asked him why he put me on the third floor given the formic situation and he replied "Well there's no view on the second floor." I told him I would trade the view and the ants for no view and no ants, so he moved me to the second floor. There were no ants in my new room but when I flushed the toilet the bowl didn't fill up and the sink didn't have any water. I called downstairs and the guy at the desk said "Yeah there's no water on the second floor right now." I asked if he had any rooms with water and without ants and he moved me to the first floor. You would think he would've run through all this beforehand.

then I chimed in . . . and Zman graciously gave me permission to do something very weird:

Dave said...

holy shit. i was rushing my post because I had to go to acupuncture . . . i think I may make your comments into tomorrow's post-- they deserve to get front-page treatment that's an exceptional anecdote--i might-- with your permission-- set it to music.


zman said...

You have my permission to make a song out of my experience at the Fairfield Inn. Not only is it near the airport, it's between a Cracker Barrel and a Hooters.


rob said...

i will turn the dial down on my customary snark to say that this is a very cool thing that happened in daveworld and i appreciated hearing about it.

/unsnark


Dave said...

that helps with the setting . . . and thanks for turning down the snark, rob!

his snark goes to 11

thanks guys . . . and understand that these comments have been duly appreciated!


4 comments:

zman said...

Thanks Dave. This is why I comment here, the off chance that my comment will lead to fame and fortune by being repurposed into a sentence of Dave. Nice job on the mini today too.

rob said...

and the offer chance that dave writes a song based on your experience that becomes a huge hit and he shares royalties with you and then you become fonzworth bentley to dave's p diddy.

Whitney said...

Hi!

Professor G. Truck said...

fonzworth bentley? i'm going to have to look that one up.

hey whit!

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.