Go Ahead, Listen to Some Old School Hippie Hip Hop (in the rain?)

Hanif Abdurraqib's rambling and perceptive "love letter to a group, a sound, and an era" inspired me to listen to a number of old school hip-hop albums-- most of which I am familiar-- but a few of which I never heard; his book, which Zman recommended to me and I recommend to you, is called Go Ahead in the Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest and it astutely points out the difference between the gangsta rap of NWA and the mellower musings of A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and the other Native Tongues rappers is that the members of NWA were “absolutely rooted in some idea of what would make young white people most excited and old white people most afraid”, while the Native Tongues rappers were “absolutely rooted in some idea of what would make young black people most curious and old black people most welcoming”;

Abdurraqib explains that the jazz samples of The Low End Theory was the first hip-hop that he could really play around his parents without fear of criticism; I also learned that the hip hop magazine The Source only gave their coveted five mic rating to a select group of albums:

  • People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of RhythmA Tribe Called Quest
  • Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em – Eric B. & Rakim
  • AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted – Ice Cube
  • One for All – Brand Nubian
  • De La Soul Is Dead – De La Soul
  • The Low End Theory – A Tribe Called Quest
  • Illmatic – Nas
  • Life After Death – The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Aquemini – Outkast
  • The Blueprint – Jay-Z
  • Stillmatic – Nas
  • The Fix – Scarface
  • The Naked Truth – Lil' Kim
  • Trill OG – Bun B
  • My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – Kanye West
and while I've listened to most of these, I missed "One for All" from The Brand Nubians-- it's a clever, allusion laden rhymefest-- and I never listened to "De La Soul is Dead" much either because it's not on any streaming service-- but my son pirated that album and 3 Feet High and Rising and he somehow got them both onto my Spotify as local files, so now I can stream them . . . I also noticed that The Chronic is also available now on Spotify, so they must have cleared the samples for that one.


2 comments:

zman said...

I've read a bunch of thinkpieces on the five mic albums and Stillmatic, The Naked Truth, and One for All seem to be the most questionable. I really liked One For All in 1991 but some tracks haven't aged well. All For One, Slow Down, Concerto in X Minor, Who Can Get Busy Like This Man still slap but that's because the samples are timeless. Those two Tribe albums, De La Soul Is Dead, Illmatic, MBFTF will always be great.

Professor G. Truck said...

i love illmatic. never listened to stillmatic much. one for all has a bit of a dj jazzy jeff feel, but more clever.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.