Xmas Anxiety Reprieve and Return

While Catherine was away on her fifth grade camping trip last week, I felt like a Hindu or a Muslim or a Jew-- no Christmas anxiety; the kids and I never spoke of Santa or presents or lights or decorations or a tree, and I certainly didn't think about shopping or the forty people that are coming to our house on Christmas Eve . . . but on Friday Catherine returned, and so did reality-- I wanted to put my feet up and rest (I was a single dad for a couple days!) but she was all about making a list and checking it twice and getting down to brass tacks with all the Xmas bullshit (and I know I shouldn't complain, since I don't do much, but I think that makes the anxiety worse).

3 comments:

...K... said...

Is it wrong that I'm considering boycotting Christmas this year? I feel so much better when people don't talk about it.

Anonymous said...

I am going to sing Christmas songs to you every chance I get, and shower you with holiday glee--ahem!--FOR THE LORD, GOD OMNI, POTENT REIGNETH-HALLELUIA-HALLELUIA

celine said...

That picture of Catherine is beautiful! Did she lose even more weight?

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.