It's a Miracle . . . Now Shut Up and Do Your Work

We were brainstorming topics for an informational presentation in my Public Speaking class and some boys wanted to do a speech about how "Helen Keller isn't real" and I was like "what?" and they  told me they just didn't buy it-- how could someone who couldn't see or hear write books and I told them the one thing I remembered about Helen Keller-- that the teacher poured some water on her hand and spelled out "water" and they were like "what about 'the'? how did she learn the word 'the'?" and I was like, "I don't know! go do some research" and this class is split in two by the lunch period, so I brought this up in the English Office and Cunningham was like "yeah! how did she do all that? how could she learn all those words?" and I was like "you need to go sit with the stupid boys in my Public Speaking class" and Cunningham was like "how could she learn all the words?" and I said, "they put stuff in her hand and spelled it" but now I was starting to doubt myself because that sounded absurd . . . and she was like "how did she learn abstract concepts?" and I said, "you pour water over her hand and spell 'water' for a couple days, and then one day you pour hot water on her hand and spell 'betrayal'" and then I spent the rest of my lunch period researching Helen Keller and apparently her teacher spelled millions of words on her hand, and she used a braille typewriter, and she felt cheeks and mouths and lips for vibrations to learn what words sounded like and there were always doubters of her abilities but she repeatedly proved them wrong and rode a bike and flew a plane and went to college . . . and I'm not exactly sure how she did all this, but I'm pretty sure she is real-- but I'm still hard-pressed to explain how it all happened.

6 comments:

rob said...

how do the kids feel about birds being real?

zman said...

I would not want to ride in a plane piloted by Helen Keller, and certainly not if she’s the one tasked with landing it. My wife drives by braille so I’m confident Helen Keller could do all those things.

rob said...

i feel like we need to know more about how your wife drives.

Whitney said...

Helen Keller might be the most impressive person who ever lived. I would definitely ride in a plane she flew, certainly before I rode in a plane I'm flying.

Whitney said...

And I do appreciate sincere critical thinking in the minds of young people... unless it's a product of their parents spewing the "Fake News" bullshit propaganda.

Professor G. Truck said...

i've never been that interested in the helen keller story, but this week i found myself becoming her staunchest defender . . .

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.