The Turn of the Page

Ruth Ware's new thriller The Turn of the Key certainly evokes the mood and themes of the classic Henry James novel The Turn of the Screw, but the nice thing about  The Turn of the Key  is that it's easy to read. The Turn of the Screw is as dense as a bowl of porridge, and I'm still not sure I understand what went down. Ware's novel is much more rewarding, and definitely a great book to curl up with in a dark room. There's all the good stuff from the original: ghostly presences, malevolent children, neglectful parents, a Scottish country house, looming sexuality, and a clever governess trying to figure it all out. And there's the added bonus of modern surveillance and a poison garden. It's genuinely creepy.

On a barely related note, I remember back in college hearing Gun N' Roses "November Rain" on the radio and informing my friend Whitney that it was based on a short story by Henry James. He corrected me and told me it was based on a story by Del James.

"Del James? Who the fuck is that?"

We speculated that it might have been a guy Axl Rose met in a bar, or perhaps his plumber. A quick search does bring up his name in conjunction with the song. There's not much else to go on. Del James-- while not as prolific as Henry James-- does have one book to his credit on Amazon: "The Language of Fear." The blurb is perfect . . .

"Del James unleashes an extraordinary collection of snapshots from hell—our hell."

You can see why Axl Rose decided to read something written by this James instead of the other, more difficult one.

4 comments:

zman said...

I read her book “In a Dark Dark Wood” but didn’t enjoy it much. I even panned it on Gheorghe: The Blog. But I trust you so maybe I’ll give her another chance.

admin said...

i've heard mixed reviews about her books. this one is fun and creepy.

Whitney said...

The Henry/Del James story still makes me laugh.

Whitney said...

Do you read new comments on old posts? Anyway, this new record review references Henry James -- obviously drawing from Dave.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/strand-of-oaks-eraserland/

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.