Oh Yeah! More (Relative) Bragging

H.L. Mencken is the genius who actually discovered the Theory of Relativity, when he famously remarked that “A man's satisfaction with his salary depends on whether he makes more than his wife's sister's husband," and while I wish I could be more abstract and metaphysical-- like Einstein-- Mencken's characterization is far more accurate; so I was incredibly pleased to find out that on the list of the 50 New Jersey schools with the best SAT scores, my town (Highland Park) came in at number 14, which is incredible and kind of strange because we're a very diverse town with a wide variety of economic situations and we don't offer all that much in the way of AP classes at our high school (because we're small) and what was especially pleasing-- as Mencken predicted-- is the fact that we came in ahead of the school that I teach at (East Brunswick, 24 on the list) and East Brunswick is an academic powerhouse that offers a plethora of AP classes (some kids take five of them in one year!) and we also came in just ahead of Chatham, which is a relatively homogenous and quite wealthy town that is the home of several of my friends (and one particular star commenter) and while I'm not sure why this is so and it doesn't make any sense, it still makes me feel good (in a relative way, of course).

4 comments:

zman said...

I assume it's because all the kids you used to coach in HP (and even EB, albeit to a lesser extent) read SoD and have learned much from my commentary.

Whitney said...

South Brunswick 27
North Brunswick 123

Don’t tell Jerry

Dave said...

yikes. hide that stat! and everyone i'm around gets a higher sat score because of my erudite thoughts and diction.

Whitney said...

Woulda been funnier to say your huge diction

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.