Massage the Kale! Fold in the Cheese!


Today in Creative Writing class, we were investigating the power of carefully selected adjectives (this episode of We Defy Augury describes the lesson) and our free-writing prompt at the start of class was to use several sentences to describe a scene, object, or person-- but you could only use one or two adjectives, which you had to underline-- and I had never done this prompt before so I was quite proud of what I produced; I described helping my wife cook our meal last night and how she trimmed and pounded the chicken and sliced and baked the carrots, while I was tasked with putting the kale in a bowl with some salt and olive oil and then "massaging" the kale . . . and I explained that I did not like massaging the kale because this activity made my hands moist and greasy-- two visceral adjectives I am not particularly fond of.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Dave isn’t fond of the word “greasy.” How delicious.

zman said...

I say greasy 100 times a day, it’s my nickname for zdaughter.

rob said...

better than calling her moist, i suppose.

Whitney said...

Ew

Professor G. Truck said...

a student brought up another gross one: soggy

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.