Just Desserts

After a dinner party on Saturday night, my wife informed me that "dense" was not an appropriate way to describe a dessert, specifically a lemon bar that our friend made-- and that the term "dense" is derogatory in dessert-describing-terms . . . I honestly meant it as a compliment-- the lemon bar was very delicious-- but I was just informing folks that you could not eat two of these lemon bars in one sitting because they had some serious substance to them-- but my wife informed me that the word I was looking for was "rich."

3 comments:

rob said...

speaking of dense

zman said...

I agree with Dave, dense can be a polite, accurate way to describe a dessert. Rich means something different--it means the opposite of bland. A piece of fudge is dense, and it can be rich but it doesn't have to be.

Professor G. Truck said...

that's what my students said! but i'm not mentioning any of this to my wife . . . and luckily, she doesn't read this drivel.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.