Game, Set, Dave is Old

When my son Ian was a sophomore I could still occasionally win a set when I played him in tennis; last year, his junior season, I could still take plenty of games off him; the past two days, we had some unseasonable warm weather so we went out and hit together and played some and it looks like now I'll be struggling to win points when I play him (but I'm sure hitting with him helps my game more than his-- so when I play my usual competitors, who are aging at the same pace I am, I'll be a leg up because of hitting with Ian, who is at the point where he's just getting bigger and stronger every day).

4 comments:

rob said...

my younger daughter is faster than me and i'm pretty sure she can front squat more weight than i can. circle of life.

zman said...

zson beat me in chess today. I won the second match but he had a brainfart and should’ve won. I called an end to it all at 1-1.

Professor G. Truck said...

oh jeez. the speed and strength thing is embarrassing but inevitable. the chess thing is a mess. i'd diagnose early-onset dementia, but you're so good at the mini! so you're just very bad at chess. or perhaps zson is a prodigy?

zman said...

I’m not good and he plays all the time at school and on his computer at home. I focused last night and beat him but it’s only a matter of time until he beats me regularly.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.