Destroying the World (Creatively)

My newest episode of We Defy Augury is an epic adventure into apocalypses of all kinds; "Apocalypse New" is inspired by Walter M. Miller's classic post-apocalyptic religious sci-fi classic A Canticle for Leibowitz, but there's lots of cameos: Ziggy Stardust, Tyler Durden, Karen Thompson Walker, Rick Grimes, Sookie Stackhouse, Bill Compton . . . and even Kramer, to help with some poetry; I highly recommend the first novella in Canticle-- the Catholic Church, like a cockroach, is still hanging on six hundred years after a nuclear flame deluge-- and the monastery in honor of St. Leibowitz is trying to preserve some arcane and archaic knowledge from that old, destroyed world . . . then the book keeps going and going and going . . . you might want to listen to my podcast rather than reading the rest.

7 comments:

zman said...

I must listen to this one if True Blood is involved.

Whitney said...

Another good one. Two thumbs up for the apocalypse. Also the comment about your boss.

Whitney said...

Driving 4 hours to a conference. Went back and listened to the episode on the book about the Neoliberal order. Interesting to see how last night’s elections bring the future into focus in these terms, unsightly as it may be.

Whitney said...

Binge listening to We Defy Augury! Just finished the Dr. Moreau one. Was hoping for a clip of Devo’s “Jocko Homo” (are we not men?), but it was good!

zman said...

This is a really enjoyable podcast. I would totally do one with you but I don't think I can hang (and I would have to read a book beforehand). I would do it if I could just riff on what you say and bring up random pop culture references.

Whitney said...

I’m happy just to have been mentioned in episode 8!

Whitney said...

I finished episode 11 (mob tropes) and got halfway through 12 (Sedaris and comedy and dirty jokes) when I arrived in Roanoke. Great way to make car rides fly by. After I finish 12 I’m all caught up!

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.