Feeling Old

I covered for the special education teacher in an environmental science class today and when I walked in I assumed the skinny, masked child behind the desk was a student-- but he turned out to be the teacher, a rather diffident brand-new hire who looked no older than my younger son . . . and then one of my other students said, "I was telling my mom how you needed to use a phone cord as a belt because your pants were falling down and my mom's friend said that you taught her-- her name is Julia and her daughter is a freshman"-- so that's what's coming down the pike, children of the kids I taught in my early years . . . yikes.

3 comments:

rob said...

this sentence deserves a blog post diagramming all of the converging themes herein. it's a masterpiece of brevity containing multitudes.

zman said...

I think the themes are (1) we are old and (2) Dave wears a shitty belt.

Professor G. Truck said...

or no belt at all! and then i have to improvise

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.