AITA?

There's a fun thread on Reddit called "Am I the Asshole?" and if I get motivated, I'll put this situation on there:

this morning a teacher came into my room and said, "Did you cover my class yesterday?" 

I confirmed this and he said, "Did you take them for a walk?"

I also confirmed this and he got quite upset and said that now the kids had an excuse for not finishing their work and told me "not to do that again" and I kind of laughed him off, told him we went for a five-minute walk to get some fresh air (during an 82 minute period) and that the kids weren't doing the packet he left for them anyway-- I knew some of the kids in the class and they told me that the teacher was putting up the answer key at 3 PM and the stuff was just for them to study (or not, and they were choosing not) and he said that a kid emailed and said that they went for a walk and didn't have time to finish and I advised the teacher to tell that kid to screw off, as the five minute walk certainly didn't impede anyone from finishing their work but none of this seemed to make sense to him (and I believe we're encouraged to give the kids a short break in the block schedule because classes are insanely long) and while I did not take this teacher or his concerns and demands seriously, perhaps I am the asshole.


4 comments:

rob said...

this post is snarkbait, but in this case, i think the kid is the asshole, and the other teacher isn't savvy enough to not be assholebait. you're an asshole, just in other ways.

Whitney said...

Is it possible all three people are assholes?

Dave said...

i've really checked around and i don't think i'm the asshole here. and teenagers will do this-- they can't be the asshole-- stacey was out and her class had to write a paragraph in 82 minutes and one kid emailed her and said she couldn't do it because there was a fire drill. brilliant. you just have to tell kids they are absurd. i can't wait to cover his class again, we're going to go play cornhole.

zman said...

Normally I would assume that you are the asshole in any fact pattern. The same is true of me—asshole is my default setting. But no one is a real asshole here. You have the kids fresh air. One kid might legitimately need 82 minutes to do the work. The other teacher doesn’t want to deal with grief from some slow kid over a break he didn’t give the class. This is more like an episode of Seinfeld than a study in assholery.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.