Dave Goes on an Anti-Homework Crusade

I'm exhausted from writing various emails about violations of my school district's homework policy, in the hopes of getting an extremely imperious and inflexible honors teacher to stop assigning so much needless busy work to accompany Catcher in the Rye . . . I closed out my rather vitriolic and litigious email to the teacher with this closer:

I'm sure the irony that you're taking a book about an anxious and overwhelmed teenager that is disillusioned with the adult institutions around him, and you are using it to make teenagers anxious, overwhelmed and disillusioned is not lost on you. 

5 comments:

Lecky said...

That's actually pretty good. It might support her case though, in a Dave meta life lesson type of way. Is rue-ing a verb?

Whitney said...

This will be discussed at length at the corner Tavern tonight. I am developing a few key points

Lecky said...

I'm in Pittsburgh otherwise I would be there to support you and any take down of Dave and his antics - next time.

Dave said...

so kids need to learn early to be disillusioned with adult institutions? that's sad. a week ago i was proud that my son was taking a bunch of honors classes. now, not so much.

Unknown said...

Honors shmonors. Teach them how to weld. Well, not you teach them because I know you don't know how to weld. Operate a cnc mill or plasma cutter. Boys need to make stuff. Real stuff. That'll make them proud of themselves which is the key here. No amount of book learnin is gonna provide that...

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.