The American Dream?

My wife and I were doing it like "real" Americans today . . . we woke up kind of hungover-- our friends' daughter Kayleigh put on a much better show than the Knicks last night-- sweated out the booze at the gym, and then headed to the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets? what? yup, it was time for my quinquennial clothes shopping spree-- I needed clothes for a couple of weddings, new golf shirts for work, running shoes, etcetera-- so after a grueling couple of hours of shopping, some advice from Yolanda at Banana Republic, and a whole lotta teacher discounts, we went to lunch at a fairly lousy nearby deli and then headed home, took a nap, and started doing our normal morning chores-- laundry, vacuuming, bathrooms, gardening-- at night!-- and this is stuff we never do at night-- we're morning people-- but I just ate dinner-- at 8:00 PM!-- and I imagine that there are people, right now-- at this late hour-- buying stuff in malls and grocery shopping and heading to Home Depot-- but every five years is plenty for this kind of living.

6 comments:

rob said...

i'm excited to see banana republic dave. i didn't know they made gear in his dimensions.

Whitney said...

Quinquennial! Good word!

zman said...

So much to unpack in this sentence! Shopping online will make your life easier. I'm dying to hear more about Yolanda's advice. I'm truly sad to hear about your bad deli experience, there is no more disappointing a lunch than a sandwich with bad cold cuts--no excuse for that in Jerzy. Dinner at 8 is too late for me too, I'm in bed by 10 at this point in my life and I need to digest everything before then lest I get GERD.

rob said...

gerd müller?

Whitney said...

Hungerd?

Professor G. Truck said...

regurgitation? like a cow!

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.