English Department Defeats Google . . . In Bed?

The other day I was racking my brain because I knew there was some situation where you insert the phrase "in bed" at the end of a sentence, for humorous effect, but I couldn't remember when you did this (and I was kind of mixing it up with Michael Scott's catch phrase "that's what she said") and I Googled it and it didn't come up so I thought I was losing my mind and that maybe I fabricated this idea and it was not a thing in the reality of our known universe but during lunch I asked my fellow English teachers and they said this was what you did with the little nugget of wisdom inside a fortune cookie and I was like "yes!" and I have no idea where this tradition originates but that's what I was thinking about-- "you will never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems . . . in bed."

2 comments:

Whitney said...

When I was a relatively new employee at my first job, I went to an event with a number of colleagues and there were fortune cookies. We played this game. Mine was:

The first love, the greatest love, is self-love... in bed.

Professor G. Truck said...

yup . . . that is correct sir.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.