Do You Live in Fantasyland?

 


We live in a country where beliefs like this are the norm; Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire, A 500 Year History, by Kurt Andersen, tackles the question of "why?" . . . why is America so prone to wild, unfounded belief-- whether it be in new religions and churches-- charismatic, fundamental, evangelical, financial, puritanical, tongue-speaking, Mormon, etc; conspiracy theories-- UFOs and anti-vaxxers and 9/11 deniers and repressed memories of child kidnappings and Satanic cults that never existed, New World Orders; and general New Age nonsense, commercialized Disneyfied claptrap, or more obscure role-playing Larping and Milsim madness . . . and while this may have been odd and interesting in the age of P.T. Barnum, now that our political sphere is controlled by religious fantasists, it's scary (at least for the rational secularists, like me) and though it may have been the left-wingers, the hippies and the intellectuals of the 60's that pushed us into this space-- the cultural relativists and the "you do you and I'll do me" folks . . . the right-wing really weaponized this solipsistic view of facts and perspective, while nice folks like Oprah and Dr. Oz softened the ground for the King of Fanmtasyland, Donald Trump . . . it's a sobering tour de force, Waco in one chapter, Celebration, Florida in the next, and while it's compelling, I'm afraid the people who enjoyed this book-- and kept thinking "wow, that's wild, I can't believe people actually believe in God that much, I can't believe they're totally sure about crystals and witches gun rights and UFOs and 9/11 conspiracy and the end of times and the return of Jesus and all that" are people like me, who have very little contact with the rest of this utterly insane nation, the true-believers, and part of me wants to keep it that way . . . I'm not sure about anything, I don't have any principles, anything I once believed has turned out to be wrong (such as: exercise is the key to losing weight . . . ha!) and I'm always awaiting a new opinion to evaluate and synthesize with the rest of my carefully cultivated logical and rational ideas, that dwell foggily and amorphously in my brain . . . perhaps it would be nice to live in Fantasyland, but I don't think I've got it in me.

No comments:

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.