Even More Tennis Notes

Yesterday, after purchasing, loading, and unloading a dozen bags of pea gravel (for the shed base) I substituted again in the tennis league and eked out a tie-breaker victory over a big-serving, hard hitter-- some call him Ken-- and while I didn't hit the ball very well, as I was sore from tamping and digging and carrying bags of rock, I remembered to back way up when Ken was serving-- a simple tip that is easy to forget-- and while he certainly hammered some of my weaker returns, I occasionally hit drop shots and more often got it deep enough to stay in the point . . . and while his serve was brutal, he was also prone to double-faulting and being too aggressive, so I just hung in and hung in and eventually tied it up 5-5 so we played a ten-point tiebreaker to finish our time and I beat him 10-2.

2 comments:

zman said...

Was it Ken Rosewall? I play with a guy named Ken, tall lefty with a big serve but a lousy toss so you can tell where the serve is going and often that's not in the service box.

Dave said...

definitely not. this ken is a solidly built Filipino dude with a hard spin serve that kicks all over the place and sometimes jams you up. i had to stand way back.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.