The Beginning of the End?

Tragic news on my front. On Thursday afternoon, March 5, 2020 . . .  just three days after my fiftieth birthday, my fourteen-year-old son Ian beat me in a set of tennis. 6 - 4. First time ever.

By the end of last summer, we were close. We played an epic set on the Har-Tru clay down at the beach. It was competitive enough that spectators accumulated, to see if the little kid could beat the old man. But I pulled it out and won, 6-4.

A few weeks later I hurt my shoulder, and I didn't play competitively for a while.


My older son, who is 16 and played quite a bit of varsity tennis last year for a state championship team, has never beaten me in a set (and he never will. Never!)

My shoulder is now better. I have a new arm friendly Yonex racket. It's awesome. I'm hitting the ball really well. But Ian still beat me. I did nothing wrong. I didn't double fault or hit the ball poorly. I had been working with Ian on hitting the ball deep to the backhand side and approaching the net, and playing his net shots with proper footwork, moving forward in a split step.

He used his training to defeat me.

He was a good sport about it. He didn't gloat. He was probably a little sad. This is how it ends, no fireworks or parade, just some well-executed drop shots, and some cross-court winners. Yesterday, we went over to Birnn and he collected his winnings for beating me: a pound of high-quality chocolate ( which he graciously shared with everyone).

We went out this morning and played, and the first set I beat him 6-4. Then, for the first time ever we played a second set. He's got to build up stamina for the high school season. He beat me 6-2 in the second set. Crushed me. I was tired. So I can hang with him, as long as I'm going full bore and doing everything right. But we all know how this story ends (unless I start doing steroids).

Or I could start playing 8-year-olds.


2 comments:

Lecky said...

We arm wrestle and sprint race. I have lost at both with my kids and it's all good. Both are "hold my beer" challenges, good times. Congrats Ian!

Professor G. Truck said...

i can definitely still win at arm wrestling. i will move on to that challenge.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.