Dave Conquers Daylight Savings Time?

This year-- instead of my usual ranting and raving--  I buckled down and prepared for Daylight Saving Time. I normally wake up at 5:40 AM, but last Monday, I set my alarm for 5:30 AM. I then preceded to set the alarm ten minutes earlier each day. A rigorous training schedule.

I gave myself a break the morning after pub night (Friday morning) but then I went back into training on Saturday. I got up at 5 AM. On the weekend. That's dedication.

Here is a training video from Saturday morning. I hope you find it inspirational.


I drank a fair amount of beer on Saturday, watching the wild Rutgers/Purdue game (Rutgers won in OT!) and so I broke training on Sunday and slept in.

This morning, when my alarm went off, I was sleeping soundly, but my training paid off. I was able to rise and shine (to some extent). And I didn't have a heart attack or get into a car accident (both of which are more common right after Daylight Saving).

The transition was still a little abrupt, and so next year I am starting 60 DAYS in advance. I put a reminder on my Google calendar. I'm going to set my alarm one minute earlier each day for two months, an when the big day comes, the "springing ahead" will be totally smooth. The annoying thing, is that we could use computers to do this for us. We don't need to change the clocks a full hour on one particular day. We could use quantum easing over a span of many months and we wouldn't have this awful jarring Monday.

Until then, I will have to do it myself. I suggest you stop complaining and do the same.

2 comments:

Marls said...

The video was less montage than misery documenting, but so really do appreciate the effort. Maybe you can call up your tennis loss to your training regimen.

Professor G. Truck said...

daylight saving really is a stupid practice. we need to move it 30 minutes and then set it and forget it. the students are miserable today.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.