Adults Say The Darndest Things


I've been playing basketball on Sunday mornings at seven AM (it's the interim between outdoor and indoor soccer) and, while I waited to sub in, I chatted with an Italian looking guy in his forties about sports (very difficult for me now, as I only watch the Giants and can't remember the names of any other players, but I certainly wasn't going to mention what I'm currently reading-- Rapture for the Geeks, a breezy book about the possible coming of the technological singularity-- that's just not appropriate at a pick-up game) and he expressed his confidence that the Giants would beat the Eagles, and I concurred and then he said to me, "Plus, it's so hard to win anything with a black quarterback . . . you know, it's only been done once" so I looked down to see if I had the words Fellow Racist written on my t-shirt, and then, luckily, after a very long and awkward pause, I was able to remember that Doug Williams was the black QB with the Superbowl Ring, so I said his name and ended a very weird moment for me-- but who says that to someone they barely know? . . . and now that the Giants are out, I'm kind of rooting for the Eagles just so I can hear how this guy explains it-- maybe he'll tell me Donovan McNabb is an octoroon or something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to comment. I can't think of anything witty; my heart just goes out to you as a fellow open-minded, caring human being who is often mistaken for a racist, and now that my head is shaved again, I know that someone soon will come up to me and make a comment about some minority that I happen to love even more than my own race.

Anonymous said...

that's it-- it must be the shaved head . . .

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.