The Usual Saturday Tennis Notes

I beat my buddy Cob 12-3 today in the 7 AM Tennis League for the Insane, Obsessive and Otherwise Mentally Ill and here are my notes, reflections, and takeaways:

1) I was a bit nervous because my wife and I finally ate at Tasty Moment, a crowded and authentic Chinese place featuring Szechuan, Nanjing, and Yangzhou Chinese food . . . and the spicy crawfish with noodles was SPICY and the peppercorn fish was delicious but had an odd spice to it that made your lips numb . . . so i was a bit worried this morning that I might have intestinal issues during the early morning match, but I was ok;

2) I chewed gum the entire match, even though the racquet club prohibits this;

3) it was the first time I ever played on Court 7, which is in the far corner and has no doubles lines-- that's visually a little weird but I actually think I liked it-- less distraction from green areas you CAN'T hit into;

4) I really focused on hitting shots from deep on the baseline 3-6 feet over the net with lots of topspin . . . and I focused on hitting shallower shots when I was moving forward LOW . . . hit it high when you are deep and hit it low when you are moving in is a basic strategy that really helps me;

5) Cob and I had some epically long rallies-- 30 or 40 shots?-- and i was really patient and kept hitting the ball crosscourt over the low part of the net . . . it seems the most common error at this level is trying to go down the line off cross court shots and hitting the net-- you can go down the line when the ball is up the middle, but if it's crosscourt, be defensive and hit it diagonal and deep;

6) I actually starting pointing my elbow, whipping my arm and pronating-- so I hit some solid flat serves (and even a few on the T aces . . . which I need to do more often)

7) I didn't get to the net enough . . . although Cob hit a few beautiful lobs when I did . . . I finished an overhead or two but I'm still not sure how much I should be getting to the net;

8) I was hitting my two-handed backhand fairly well-- deep and with some topspin, but I'm not sure how much my wrists should be involved in the stroke-- I need to keep experimenting;

9) the key to my forehand is the left hand, it has to come back with the racquet and I need to catch the racquet with my left hand on the follow through . . . this ensures that I get a good turn (but not too much of a turn-- it helps to keep the racquet on the same side of your body on the pull back and follow through) and that and I need to always get a wide base and drive through it.


1 comment:

zman said...

Lots to unpack here.

1. I'm glad you didn't crap yourself.
2. That's good to know.
3. The tennis facility around the corner has a court like that and I find it really hard to play on, it just looks so foreign.
4. It's always a good idea to clear the net by a good margin and use spin to keep it in, and to approach behind a low slice shot.
5. It's always a good idea to hit the ball over the lowest part of the net because that makes it easier to clear the net by a good margin (see #4 above).
6. Where do you point your elbow? Do you bite your thumb at me?
7. You should get to the net if you're good at the net, otherwise don't go to the net.
8. I would say that you should think of your two-handed backhand as a left-handed forehand (with the left hand choked up and the right hand there for guidance) and use a similar grip and wrist torque that you use on your forehand (assuming you use a western forehand grip and whip your wrist through the motion).
9. That's a nice antique approach, zfather would approve. I do an abbreviated version.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.