Tone? Term? What? Who?

I realized today why I've been so fried and exhausted at the end of every school day this year-- and it's not the new schedule of 84 minute periods-- the problem is the sensory deprivation: I can't wear my glasses with a mask (they fog up) so I can't really see the students (and it's hard to discern who is who when they are all wearing masks) and I can't really tell who is talking-- every class wide discussion begins as a ventriloquism act because you can't see anyone's mouth moving . . . and even once you figure out where the sound is coming from, you might not be able to parse the words . . . teenagers are often mumblers . . . AND they might not have clearly heard what I said, so that adds to this muffled game of telephone . . . I told them to find a "term" and they were looking for the "tone" and so I had to remember to really enunciate the ending letters of words (and today was hat day, further obscuring any visual recognition-- when you wear a hat AND a mask, there's no much identifiable face showing) but my only solace is that perhaps I'm developing super-sensory powers because of this intense obfuscated sensory training.

4 comments:

zman said...

The most likely outcome of this pandemic is you developing superpowers. Does this mean you didn't already have super-sensory powers? I thought you were already all-seeing and all-knowing.

Lecky said...

Hi, I'm a Nigerian prince. You complain too much. Please send me monies.

Elizabeth said...

Dave I read this bc I saw it on Facebook! It worked!

Dave said...

so people use facebook instead of blogger . . . interesting trend . . .

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.