Yesterday vs Today . . . Teenwolf vs Pfizer

Yesterday began with such promise: I defeated my nemeses in the NYT Mini Crossword (Stacey, Whitney, and Zman) which is a rarity and cause for celebration; then Catherine and I drove the Meadowlands and we each got our second Pfizer vaccine shot and we flew right on through without much waiting; a guy in line informed me that Houston's best player was sitting out with a hip pointer, giving Rutgers a fighting chance; and then I settled in the watch basketball-- my brackets were thriving, as was the pool where select eight teams and get points for their seed number (so you've got to select upsets) and in between basketball I played ping-pong with my sons, and despite my sore arm, I defeated them handily (which did not happen the day before) and then things started going downhill: Illinois lost, Syracuse won, Texas Tech lost and nail-biter, and then Rutgers squandered away a ten-point lead in the final minutes-- they stalled the ball too much, missed a couple gimmes, and Geo Baker slipped . . . it was awful and Alex and I were very sad . . . I was also sad because, over the course of the day, I was getting more and more sore and fatigued and by the end of the Rutgers game my throat hurt and I had a headache . . . it was the same for Cat and she even had a low-grade fever-- our immune systems were responding to the vaccine and it wasn't fun . . . we had chills all night and couldn't sleep and I was having weird racing thoughts, such as who scored the most points in a basketball game IN A MOVIE . . . Teenwolf? . . . which led me to this amazing video . . . the internet isn't for politics, it's for THAT VIDEO . . . anyway, I know there are silver linings to all this: getting a vaccine is better than getting COVID, a robust immune system response means that your immune system is generating antibodies (old people have little response to the vaccine) and Rutgers had to break the ice with the new program and they've done it (and VCU didn't get to play at all!) and-- despite the side effects-- I've heard that the Pfizer vaccine is far superior to all other vaccines . . . 75% of people who receive it improve their NTY mini score, 67% select better brackets, and 11% develop ESP.

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Worth mentioning is that Scott Howard did that in one half. Those are solid stats for an entire high school game. And then there were the intangibles.

The internet is awesome. We may have to pilfer this for a Gheorghe segment.

Whitney said...

Oh, and I hope you guys feel better.

Professor G. Truck said...

thanks-- i've recovered, cat is still sore with a headache . . . the internet mainly sucks, until you find something like that

zman said...

Is today’s mini time the result of another vaccination or just a return to form?

Dave said...

i've got long-vaccinal brain fog. i'll tell you when it's over.

Whitney said...

Brain fog means a slow week at SoD

zman said...

I'm not getting my money's worth at SoD lately.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.