A Coach's Notes on a JV Soccer Game

Some items I'd like to note for posterity about our home JV soccer game against South Plainfield on Wednesday:

1) we started the game with exactly eleven players because of sickness and a couple injuries;

2) our goalie was injured so my older son Alex-- one of our best defenders-- had to play goalie (he's a good goalie, but he hasn't played there in years, since he broke his thumb)

3) twenty minutes into the game, Max sprained his ankle, so we were down to ten players;

4) any time players are sick, we wonder if we are all going to wake up with coronavirus (so far, so good)

5) playing with ten is brutal-- Jake ran so much that he needed a sub . . . but I reminded him that we didn't have any subs; he told me he was going to puke and I advised him to get back defensively and just stand there; instead, he ran off the field and put his head into the trash can and threw up for a minute or two-- this was in full view of the fans-- and then, heroically, he went back into the game;

6) my son Ian has grown a couple inches and put on ten pounds in the last two weeks, which is great, but his feet are killing him-- they're a couple of sizes too large for his body-- so he couldn't really run by the end of the first half;

7) Ian went into the goal in the second half-- he hasn't played goalie since he was a little kid-- so this is the first game that both my children have played goalie in the same game;

8) we lost 5-0 . . . the best thing about Highland Park is you get plenty of playing time . . . but that can also be the worst thing about Highland Park;

9) Alex and I raced up to see the end of the varsity game . . . it went into overtime and we lost 2-1;

10) there were plenty of injuries on the varsity squad as well; a player got cleated in the temple, another may have broken his leg, another got a wicked cramp, etc.

11) I forgot the corner flags at the JV field and I didn't realize this until I was walking the dog in the park the next day . . . but luckily they were all still there; it's nice to live right next to the field at which I coach;

12) the next day at practice we had 19 able-bodied players-- for both JV and varsity-- and Ian didn't make until the end. his feet started to hurt again;

13) Ian came to acupuncture with me Thursday night-- I'm proud of him, as the first time is a little scary . . . he said the only needles that hurt were the ones she put in his ears, so maybe this will help his feet . . . or he's got bone spurs;

14) we got rained out today . . .  a godsend, so maybe we will be healed and rested for Monday's game.

3 comments:

zman said...

Some day I will go to one of your soccer games so I can write "A Fan's Notes on a JV Soccer Game."

rob said...

i'll start a go fund me to make the documentary film based on your manuscript

Professor G. Truck said...

love that book, and last week had enough moments to make an entire documentary-- especially I you add all the conflict involved with getting my kids ready to get out of the house as well

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.