Dear Ms. Etiquette . . . Deer, Ms. Etiquette?

Dear Ms. Etiquette:

What is the protocol if an old Asian lady is in the middle of the running trail by my house, taking pictures of some deer?

Do I have to stop and wait for her to take the pictures? Or am I allowed to run past her, scaring the deer into the forest?

I should point out that in my neck of the wood, white-tailed deer are nothing special. In fact, there are deer everywhere! They roam the streets, they stare at my dog until we get two yards away, they gnaw on everyone's gardens, and they transport ticks.

This is what I did: I ran right past her before she could take her photo. The deer scattered, frightened by the juggernaut that is me running. If she said anything, I didn't hear her . . . I was wearing headphones.

I don't want to be rude to old ladies, but come on. If it were a moose or a bear, that would be a different story.

Thanks for helping me understand that I did the right thing.

Sincerely,

Dave "My Manners Matter" from Jersey

No comments:

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.