Like Father, Like Mad Cartographer

Last night, at Frankie Feds-- a thin crust pizza joint in Freehold that you should visit-- my son Alex said something inadvertently resonant. He said it to me, and my wife did not hear (it was really loud-- there was a kid's birthday party, and the kids were young and screaming, and the parents were drunk-- as you need to be when you've got young kids-- and they were screaming over the kids. Two large tables of loud adults and one large table of shrieking children. The wait staff gladly moved us as far away from them as possible, but you could still hear them. Also, everyone had a pumpkin).

Anyway, down at our end of the table, my father was telling Alex and Ian he had an atlas for them-- someone gave it to him-- and Alex made a wisecrack about how many atlases we have around the house (though I've cleaned out my books, I just can't seem to part with the atlases) and then he thought for a moment and asked a serious question. "Could I tear pages out of the atlases and put the maps on my wall? Over the Lego Star Wars?"

Alex has an amazing Lego Star Wars mural on his wall, painted by the artistic sister of a friend way back when he was into stuff like that. But now he's a sophomore in high school.

If he's ever going to kiss a girl, it's probably time to obscure the mural.

My younger son Ian chose a slightly more classic theme in his room: a jungle tree full of stylized animals.

Ian should be fine with the ladies. The King himself had a jungle room.

I made Alex walk over to the other side of our big table and repeat the question to my wife.

"Mom, can I cover my Lego Star Wars wall with maps? We have all these atlases . . ."

My wife laughed. The apple does not fall far from the tree. When she first met me, I lived in a disgusting flophouse in East Brunswick, right on Route 18. It was old-- historic-- with lots of little rooms. A bunch of my friends had rented it for cheap, and we were primitive.  I slept in a sleeping bag on a camping pad. I shared the room with my buddy Ryan. He agreed to my cartographically themed decorating plan.

I raided the old National Geographic magazines in my basement, and I took all the maps. I covered every surface of our room with them. Walls, doors, closets, and ceiling. And for some reason that I can't recall now, I hung all the maps with toothpaste.

This worked.

Sort of-- until it didn't.

Then the maps hung in assorted ways on the walls and ceiling, corners flopping and flapping. And the room smelled like mint. It's shocking that my wife continued to date me, as a room with no mattress, a sleeping bag, and an array of maps on every surface is a stone's throw away from a serial killer's den (maybe not even a stone's throw, maybe closer than that, maybe a shot-put toss away from a serial killer's den).

So Catherine laughed at Alex's request to cover his walls in maps. She had been there before.

I told him to go for it. In my limited experience, chicks who dig maps are cool.

2 comments:

zman said...

Toothpaste?! You’re a teacher, don’t you have access to unlimited amounts of Elmer’s glue?

Dave said...

not back then i wasn't.

and this is a thing:

https://lifehacker.com/hang-posters-with-toothpaste-to-avoid-holes-1441006561

i probably didn't use the right kind of toothpaste . . .

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.