Touch Typing = Coffee with Sugar and Creamer

The unemployment rate is low right now, but there are problems with the numbers-- they don't accurately represent all the people-- and it's a lot of people-- who have dropped out of the job market entirely: these people aren't retired, they aren't employed, and they aren't seeking employment . . . and they are mainly men; a recent episode of Hidden Brain attempts to explain one factor of this phenomenon . . . some of the sectors of the economy that are booming are regarded as "women's work," and men are having a hard time moving into these jobs; the episode-- entitled "Man Up"-- focuses on nursing, and how the men who have made the transition often need to compensate with extra-manliness because (unlike femininity) manhood is "hard to earn and easy to lose"; I never thought about this all that much until I listened to this episode, but I certainly work in a field that could be considered "women's work"-- I teach Creative Writing class!-- and I'm used to working side-by-side with women, and-- more often than not-- I've had a woman as my boss; I always thought of this as a perk of my job-- we have lots of smart, charming, attractive women in my department, but I also might compensate about certain things to accentuate my manliness: whenever my buddy Bob types anything-- he's a fantastic and flamboyant touch typist-- I give him a hard time for excelling at something so feminine, and whenever my friend Terry puts sugar and creamer in his coffee, I tell him that a man drinks his coffee black . . .on the whole though, it's fun to work with a bunch of women and it's easy to be the funniest person in the room (because women aren't all that funny) and if there's ever a heavy object that needs lifting or a tight jar lid that needs unscrewing, I'm at the ready.

7 comments:

zman said...

There’s too much here for me to unpack in one comment, but there’s a whole Curb Your Enthusiam episode about opening pickle jars.

Whitney said...

Wow, Dave.

Whitney said...

This feels like a SoD post like I have written when I stole access to Dave's computer and wanted to create something fairly incendiary while still seeming legit Dave.

Dave said...

i'd love to read the ersatz sentence of dave (written by Whitney) and then i could pretend to be zman in the comments. but then what is zman?

Whitney said...

Zman is me in the comments. Less popular with the Jersey masses but still very, very cool in his own right

Dave said...

bizarro sentence of dave

yanmaneee said...

timberlands
air jordan
curry 6
goyard handbags
jordan shoes
supreme clothing
moncler coat
supreme hoodie
supreme clothing
supreme hoodie

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.