A Vacation Highlight


After a day at Jamestown, a day at Yorktown, and several days in Colonial Williamsburg (we definitely witnessed 10-12 hours of historical reenactment) I am fairly confident that my kids know we fought the British in the Revolutionary War (although I'm not sure they know that the British are English) and I must admit that the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has done an impressive job at re-creating these places, but my favorite part of our vacation was our hike through York River State Park-- we collected numerous fossils from the river bank-- and I lifted rotting log and saw a small snake I've never seen before: after some research, my best guess is that it is either an Eastern Worm Snake or an Eastern Smooth Earth Snake and it looked like the snake in the picture above.

2 comments:

zman said...

My guess is it was a Dekay's brown snake. They're ubiquitous on the east coast.

Dave said...

i don't think so-- it had no markings, spots, discoloration, stripes, nothing. it was light brown all over.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.