Entomology 101

Two Oscar-winning performances by yours truly last week in class: 

1) at the start of our process analysis unit I demonstrated how to help someone get rid of the hiccups (my preferred method is to pretend that there is a bug in the hiccuping person's hair) but I guess the girl I was demonstrating on didn't realize that it was just a demonstration-- and apparently she's really frightened of insects-- so when I went to pluck the imaginary bug out of her hair, she slapped my hand and screamed . . . and all the students were very happy that she hit me;

2) the next day, to illustrate a point in an essay called "Honey Harvest," I pretended that I had a bee in a cup and that I needed a volunteer to be stung in front of the class as an initiation rite (to what stupid club I can't imagine) and again, the same girl got very upset-- you'd think she would have caught on by now-- and a few other girls actually got out of their seats and ran when I turned the cup over onto the volunteer's arm (I've been doing this for years and, oddly, someone always volunteers to be stung by the imaginary bee) but then all that fluttered out of the cup was a yellow piece of paper . . . but a student gave me a good idea for next year, I'm going to get one of those joke pens that shocks you when you touch it and put that in the cup.

6 comments:

rob said...

'mr. pellicane, please come to the office. mr. pellicane, please come to the office.'

Anonymous said...

Or you could just put a bee in the cup--think about it and get back to me--I'm just trying to think outside the box here.

Dave said...

Mr. Pellicane is giving both comments an A+.

...K... said...

So the Oscar would be for Best Dramatic Performance in a Classroom?

Lily said...

After analyzing your article you have to recognize what I surely have written here best rhinoplasty recovery clinic . This one is being written after you have a proposal from you.

Anonymous said...

but a student gave me a good idea for next year, I'm going to get one of those joke pens that shocks you when you touch it and put that in the cup.
uniform cloth material
school uniform check fabric

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.