Grandma Logic

Yesterday, when we returned from a day at the beach, there was a cryptic message on the phone from my grandmother (this isn't unusual as no one in my family ever leaves anything concrete on an answering machine, they always demand a call-back) and when I called her back she told me she wanted to give me some money for my fishing trip, but I told her not to drive over because there was a downed telephone pole on Route 1, and so she asked me if Catherine had fifty dollars . . . and if Catherine did possess fifty dollars, then she was to give the money to me, and then my grandmother said that she would give Catherine fifty dollars; although my wife said this was the funniest thing she had ever heard, I held my tongue while I was on the phone because fifty dollars is fifty dollars and I wasn't going to risk losing the cash with a sarcastic comment about the logic of a financial transaction.

4 comments:

rob said...

this is my favorite sentence in the history of sentences.

i'm guessing grandma doesn't really know what happens on the fishing trip, then.

Dave said...

she has no idea what she's subsidizing-- i keep telling her i'm going to bring her back some nice filet of sole, but that we get unlucky every year . . .

Whitney said...

Didn't you write a poem in college called Filet of Soul?

And were you straight back then?

celine said...

cat figured out that you took her fifty AND kept grandma's fifty. you sly dog you.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.