Why Are There So Many Televisions At The Gym?

Catherine and I went to the gym together on New Year's Day, and we put Alex and Ian in the kid's play area while we worked out-- it's a large open space with a indoor jungle gym and some of those big red and yellow cars that you sit in-- they were very excited, but when we returned, the lady had turned the TV on and this annoyed me because I wanted my kids to get some exercise, not watch TV, and because we never let them watch any TV, they get mesmerized by it, and essentially can do nothing else but watch the screen-- even if it's crap-- so the question is: if we do this again, can I ask the lady not to turn the TV on?

2 comments:

Mrs.Jim Halpert said...

What kind of father are you? Have you completely lost your mind? I mean, I thought your obsession with working out was weird enough (I mean, you are a married man with two children in your late thirties after all)but now you're cultivating future eating disorders and body image complexes!

It's no wonder your kids wanted to watch a little television - they are no doubt worn out from hiking up mountains, traversing Central Park, and routinely participating in Pellicane style Wrestlemania.

But instead of giving them a break and allowing them to enjoy a little Thomas the Tank Engine, you get upset because your pre-K children aren't making the most of their workout. No wonder poor little Ian seemed tuckered out when I saw him the day after you schlepped him all around NYC for 8 hours! He was probably dreading his next workout!

I don't know Dave, a dad who gets his small children LA Fitness memberships and then freaks out when they take a little breather in between crunches is worse than my friend Caryn Tickle who refused to feed her newborn anything but skim milk because she was afraid she would grow up fat.

rob said...

pretty soon your kids will be sneaking out of the house to catch illicit dora the explorer videos in seamy nursery schools. it's a slippery slope from there to high school musical. trust me, i know.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.