Shinebox? Shonebox?

Even English teachers have grammatical hurdles they struggle to clear on the daily—while I don't usually bother civilians about this one (unless they are training my dog) I often correct teachers in the English Office who misuse "lie" and "lay" . . . because it's the fucking ENGLISH Office and we should get it right; I also don't mind when Denise corrects me when I incorrectly swap "fewer" and "less" . . . I've even come up with a mnemonic to help me get this one right (it's alliterative: fewer fingers, less liquid) and this morning I learned a new grammatical rule (that came up because of the Wordle answer) and so apparently "shone" and "shined" are both past tenses of "shine," but you use "shone" if there is NO direct object and you use "shined" if the verb does refer to a direct object . . . so here's an example:

"Years ago, Tommy Devito shined Billy Batts's shoes so well, they shone like mirrors, but then years later Billy busted his balls about it, and so Tommy beat him to death."

1 comment:

rob said...

deal with THAT, eric!

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.