A Memory Called Empire

A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine is big-brained sci-fi and it will take a little while to understand what's going on (I didn't realize there is a glossary of terms in the back of the novel . . . the existence of which often indicates the kiss-of-death for comprehension and readability, but I managed to figure things out without referring to it and I'm an idiot) but I recommend giving it a shot . . . it asks this question:

--how do you preserve your culture and memory when you are on the verge of being subsumed and appropriated by a gigantic galactic empire?

and the mining station Lsel has an answer: proprietary technology that fuses the memories of past people with present citizens, in the form of a neurological implant and a grueling physical and mental process that allows the voices of the past to coexist in the same body as the present person; diplomacy is at the heart of the novel, but there's plenty of action, violence, insurrection, and politics as well; the author is also a Byzantine scholar and the book won the Hugo award . . . it ain't an easy read, but I will probably read the next in the series as well-- and I hope the next book I read is a little easier on my brain (just as writing a blog is a much easier way to preserve memory and culture in a world being subsumed and appropriated by algorithmically polarized social media).

3 comments:

zman said...

I don't understand how you read so much, listen to three hour podcasts, record music, coach a plurality of soccer teams, teach, go to pub night, exercise, fix your backhand, write lengthy scary stories, all while composing a sentence a day. Do you not sleep?

Professor G. Truck said...

I sleep so much! eight to nine hours a night. also, soccer is over. when you put it that way, I sound oddly productive. did you hear my new song?

Professor G. Truck said...

also, my kids are fairly self-sufficient (sometimes)

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.