Kid in the Store Reversal!

There was a time when my wife and I would NEVER bring the kids shopping. We were always flabbergasted when we'd see a family of five in the grocery store, on a convivial and chaotic outing, leaving a wake of overturned merchandise.

Why? Why bring EVERYONE to the store? Why not divide and conquer? Send one person to the store and let the other person bring the kids to the park or the trampoline village or the go-cart track.

Then our kids got a bit older, and while we'd never bring them into a grocery store, once in a while-- once in a long while-- we would take them sneaker shopping. They were both into sports. Alex has wide feet, like me. Ian has weird skinny feet, like my wife. So they needed to try stuff on.  It would be awful. Kids can't do shopping. I can't do shopping.

But now the tables have turned. I've been putting off buying running shoes and low top indoor soccer/tennis trainers for over a year. I hate shopping. And I have to try stuff on. And I hate paying full price. So there's only one place to go: the Jackson Premium Outlets. Nike, Adidas, Reebok and Asics. But there's never a good time to go. It's always a zoo.

Today seemed to be the right day. It was cold and it was supposed to snow. I asked Ian if he wanted to come with me, because he needed running shoes and indoor soccer shoes. He said yes. I told him I needed to go to three different stores. THREE. I asked him if he was up for it. It was going to be crazy. The most stores I had been in for the past two years in a single day was one. The most stores I had brought Ian into was one. But we were going to do three.

Ian is 14 now. I'm 49. We could handle it.

It turns out the tables have turned. Ian has zoomed from being a detriment in stores to being essential. He buzzed right by neutral.

On our way there, we listened to podcasts. No traffic at all.

In the Asics store, the clearance rack was buy one, get a pair free. I tried on shoes while he tried on shoes. We ended up both buying the same pair of GT-2000s. No line. In fact, no people in the store. Awesome. In and out.

Then we went to the Adidas store. Ian quickly found some indoor shoes that fit his weird feet. I struck out.

So we had to go to Nike. I was really looking for low cut trainers that I could wear both for indoor soccer and outdoor tennis. Ian found a great pair of indoor soccer shoes on the clearance rack-- he has  great eyes-- but they didn't have much support and would be useless for tennis. Then he found exactly what I was looking for. The Nike Lunar Prime Iron II. They were so cheap that I grabbed a black pair and a gray pair.

I would have never found them. I can't find the ketchup in the fridge.

At the register, just as I was about to pay, Ian noticed that one pair was less expensive than the other. The black pair was marked down to $27.97. The gray pair was $39.99. A great catch.

He ran back into the store and grabbed the other black pair and saved me a few bucks.


On our way home, it started snowing. Hard. It was nice to have company, driving in that. It was nice to have the company for the entire trip, and quite frankly, if he wasn't there, I might not have bought anything. 

6 comments:

Whitney said...

I love that the Alex’s wide feet, because they are like your own, are described without additional adjectives while Ian’s skinny feet are tarred with the epithet “weird” not once but twice.

More importantly, the post is a nice reflection of a key milestone in parenting: that moment when it goes from tending to the wild herd and truly babysitting children to spending time with young, interesting people you love. My daughters are now really good company whose time I can’t get enough of... the sad irony being that it’s now T-minus about 8 months til my elder leaves the nest for college.

Dave said...

yeah, not exactly looking forward to that moment-- but i'm certainly enjoying this stage (aside from the typical teenage attitude and adventures).

Marls said...

Ian needs to start a blog called “Stories of Dave”.

zman said...

Your children would be able to behave while shopping if you took them shopping once in a while. Grocery shopping with a kid is great because I feed them while we shop. zdaughter can eat half a pound of grapes in under a minute and they don't weigh her on the way in or out so they're free. zdaughter is generally better behaved than zson but he can go to and behave in stores with interesting stuff like REI and Dick's. I think the real problem is that you passed your shitty shopping genes on to your kids.

Whitney said...

They’re free because you’re stealing.

Dave and I got “free” food at W&M’s Marketplace all freshman year with similar chicanery.

Dave said...

zman passed on his excellent shoplifting genes to his children.

why is that tap water bubbling?

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.