Protesta el Jefe

We did our last excursion in the Chilamate region this morning, or so we thought-- we took a hike in the spectacular Tirimbina Wildlife Refuge; first we crossed 264 meter hanging bridge to get to the east side of the Sarapiqui River and then we climbed into the dense forest, I was the only one totally decked out for the jungle, wearing pants tucked into my socks and longsleeves, which was a good idea because of the numerous bullet ants on the trees and the trail, my kids had on shortsleeves and Catherine was wearing Capri pants so they were lucky to avoid being stung; Ian also miraculously spotted the bullet ant's favorite prey, the glass winged butterfly, which was pretty much wearing a cloak of invisibility, aside from a red blotch below its transparent wings; Ian has great eyes and also picked out tiny frogs and other little creatures but Ian's most incredible sighting of the day was a large viper just below the trail-- it was either a fer de lance or a hog nosed viper-- and he also found a smaller one ON the trail nearby, I moved it off the trail with a stick before it sank its teeth into my wife's exposed leg; I will post the video soon enough; the rest of the hike we were surrounded by howler monkeys but saw none, but we did see a pair of Marail guans, which might be relatively rare and then when we headed back to the Eco Retreat to check out, but we ran into a student protest blocking the road so we took a bunch of pothole strewn back roads and circumnavigated it and then when we checked out we ran into the same protest, a vague movement against the new president and we couldn't get to the highway so we ate and it rained spectacularly so we figured the protesters had given up but they didn't and there is no other way to go to get to Arenal so we retreated back to the Eco Retreat and we are stuck here indefinitely, waiting for the protest to end, but it may be a while because apparently it is teachers and students, and the teacher's union-- who have been fomenting strikes and protest quite often-- are not to be trifled with.

5 comments:

rob said...

elements of this post are gonna freak whitney the fuck out

Whitney said...

It’s true. Pants tucked into socks freak me the fuck out. I mean, why, Dave??

Of course it’s the viper. And Dave, when you phrase it “I moved it off the trail with a stick before it sank its teeth into my wife’s exposed leg,” I do freak the fuck out. And then I thought, why is he telling the rest of the day and not talking about getting her help???

And then I realized that you should have said “before it COULD sink its teeth.” Bastard.

zman said...

Nice job helping your kids get dressed for a jungle hike.

Professor G. Truck said...

We have some nice video of me moving the snake. My wife is filming, until she runs away

Debra said...

I was really hoping there were no snakes in Costa Rica.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.