My Son Ian Makes A Short Film


I had an English department meeting after school on Monday, and so it was my younger son Ian's responsibility to hustle home from school and let our dog out. She's only a year-and-a-half and it's a long day for her. Ian is in middle school (8th Grade) and his school lets out at 2:50 PM. I would be stuck in the meeting until 3:30 PM and then have to drive home





As the meeting was nearing its conclusion, I texted Ian to make sure he had gone straight home and let Lola out to do her business. I received this short video (without any textual explanation) as a reply.






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh0RKxu1hoI&feature=youtu.be
Ian's terse video reply to my text




The synopsis: a view of a ladder from above, the camera pulls back to show an open window, and then the camera pans around and there's an ominous shot of an empty room . . . no dog, nothing.





I interpreted this video in the worst possible way. In my mind's eye, Ian came home from school and saw a ladder next to the house. The window above the ladder was open, indicating something nefarious, and when he went inside, he found that the dog was missing, along with all our most valuable possessions.





I called him, frantic.





"Ian, are you okay? Did we get robbed? Is Lola gone?"





"Hey Dad. Everything is fine. I forgot my key and the secret key wasn't out back, so I found a ladder in the backyard, threw it over the fence, and broke in through the bathroom window so I could let Lola out."





"Wow . . . okay, awesome. Great. I'll talk to you when I get home."





EXT: Ladder Below Small Window









When I got home, I commended Ian for his ingenuity, agility and strength. The ladder was wedged alongside our deck and it's heavy. I'm was impressed that he could lift it and toss it over the fence. And he really had to squeeze through that tiny window, headfirst. He said he grabbed the sink and then leaped onto the toilet. It was something only a wiry 13 year old could pull off.





Then I criticized his filmmaking, particularly his shot selection.





"Ian, the end of that movie doesn't indicate that YOU broke in the house. You needed to show the dog . . . or you smiling . . . or something to indicate a happy ending. Not a weird desolate shot of an empty room! That says something bad happened!"





"Dad, I would have called the police if something bad happened."





While I was impressed with Ian's grace under pressure, I was not impressed with his ladder safety. As you can see from the photo below, he did fully extend nor did he lock the ladder's spreaders. The American Ladder Institute would not approve.





Yikes




I hope this won't happen again. We put a key back into the secret location in the yard (which I obviously can't reveal here on the internet . . . though if anyone tried to break into our house, Lola would definitely lick them to death) and I'm going to be especially didactic about shot sequences and visual resolutions the next time Ian and and I watch a movie.


No comments:

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.