Caster Disaster


Last Saturday, I was that asshole: I chose a shopping cart at Target with a bad caster that alternated between making a loud clattering sound and a high pitched shriek, and I was too lazy to switch carts, instead I suffered the frowns of employees and shoppers alike-- it was early-- AND I got into the "express" lane at the grocery store and before I realized that I had more than twelve items, there was a line behind me . . . I thought I didn't have much but I did -- six bottles of seltzer, four cans of SpaghettiOs, two things of lunch meat, rolls, a loaf of bread, hot pepper rings, two packs of paper plates and a pack of paper cups-- for a grand total of eighteen items-- 50% more than the limit; once I realized my transgression I turned bright red, and all I could do was bag really fast and race out of the store, the shrieking caster broadcasting my shame.

5 comments:

Al DePantsdowno said...

This reminds me of the guy who said "I just let those free newspapers lay on the front sidewalk until they're gone. I didn't ask for them. Why should I pick them up?"

Anonymous said...

I used to work in a grocery store - and according to shop rite logic - you really only had eight items..

Didn't you know that multiples of the same thing still count as one thing?

Dave said...

i think that's why i got into that line in the first place-- but then i decided that was ridiculous: an item is an item . . .

was i the one who said that about the free newspapers?

Dave said...

and i've been thinking about this-- if i had forty five bottles of seltzer it would count as one item?

Al DePantsdowno said...

You don't remember? That was when you were a renter. Things are different now.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.