Dave Uses Evidence and Jazz Hands to Argue His Point

Back in November, I took some flak in the comments for calling jazz vocalization "unbearable," and so I'd like to present Exhibit A, Tom Lellis singing "For Better Days Ahead," a song I heard on WBGO on my way to work; I'd also like to point out that these days I primarily listen to jazz, more than any other genre, so this isn't some off-the-cuff generalization . . . jazz singing almost always ruins the music; if you can sincerely listen to "For Better Days" and tell me that you enjoy the singing-- that it makes the song better-- then you can smack me across the face with your jazz hands . . . it's the same deal with classical music-- which I love-- versus opera, which annoys me (the song also features a flute solo, which is invariably the kiss of death).

2 comments:

zman said...

In general you're probably right, but there are some jazz singers who add value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3VzLCxx8mI

Dave said...

true, but i counter with this song, that i heard this on wbgo this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Gsr3kI96I

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.