Those Clever Teenagers and Their Electronic Devices

Not sure if this goes into the category of "something I should have known . . . but didn't because I'm old and/or stupid" or if it's a genuinely new and hip life-hack . . . but I learned in class on Tuesday that kids get fairly creative when they want to amplify the sound from their cell phone: one student said she puts her phone in the sink when she showers so she can hear her music over the running water-- and, according to RadioShack, a sink is a legit amplifier-- and another girl explained to us that "you can put your phone in your mouth if you need more people to hear it" which I deemed absurd and unhygienic, but she replied "it's my phone"; I couldn't find anything on-line about the efficiency of the mouth/phone combo amp and I don't think I'm going to try it, so you'll have to do that experiment on your own; another girl said she put her phone inside a big (unlit) candle to get some amplification, and everyone in the class knew the trick of putting your phone in a cup to make the sound louder; coincidentally, the first time I ever saw/heard this "phone in the cup" trick was over winter break, when my friend Rob (who is in his forties) put his phone in an empty coffee mug so that I could hear a song he recorded better . . . and I'm wondering if he learned this move from a youngster or if he figured it out himself-- so I will have to do some further research and report back to you.

5 comments:

zman said...

So you and rob did a "two guys one cup" routine?

Al DePantsdowno said...

My wife did the mouth thing once a long time ago. Amplification was definitely noticeable. Pretty sure that was before cell phones.

zman said...

My wife did the mouth thing once a long time ago too.

Dave said...

so i'm assuming your wives don't read this very often . . .

Al DePantsdowno said...

Only when I show her.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.