Dave Keeps the Barbarians at Bay

This morning I pulled into the high school parking lot, got out of the car and went around to the passenger side, opened the door and grabbed my lunch cooler, and then noticed that I did a terrible job parking the van-- not only was I too far over on the right side of the spot, my wheels on the painted line, but I also hadn't pulled all the way in, so my rear bumper was sticking way out into the lot . . . normally, I look at a parking job like this and think to myself Wow, I'm awful at parking and then blithely head into the building, but I'm proud to say today was different-- I got back into my car and revised my parking-- and this time I did it right-- and if that's not the height of civilization, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

zman said...

I taught zson that when crossing the street he should be particularly wary of minivans and SUVs because in my experience, a driver's skill is inversely proportional to the size of their car. This sentence provides yet another data point pushing my theory closer to becoming a law.

I used to believe that minivan drivers were the worst of them all, especially on the highway--they're always going 20 MPH over the limit, straddling two lanes, weaving without using blinkers, etc., probably because the drivers is miserable (the minivan is likely full of screaming kids, barking dogs, smelly soccer clothes, and, of course, the driver is piloting a minivan) and wants to get to his or her destination as soon as possible. This belief softened with the boom in seven-passenger SUVs (have you ever seen anyone driving a Tahoe well?) but maybe I need to revisit that position.

Dave said...

the minivan has served me well as a soccer coach, cross-country traveler, and beach vacationer but what you say is true. you use it to get there, the faster the better, and the rest of the universe should take caution.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.