R.I.P. Tom Petty and Our Pet Lizard?

This has been a tough week in our house-- not only did rock legend Tom Petty's soul pass into the great wide open, but it also looks like its curtains for our pet lizard, a crested gecko named Bossk . . . he's been missing since Sunday and at this point, he's probably either died from lack of food, water, heat and humidity or he's been eaten by the dog; my stupid children are one hundred percent responsible for the probable death of Bossk-- which I've pointed this out to them-- because they took the lizard out of the tank (which is fine, he's quite tame) and put him on a toy truck in Alex's room (right by the crawl space door) and then left Alex's room for a moment to get something-- they both left the lizard unattended-- and when they returned (moments later they insist) the lizard was gone . . . and this led to a mad search on Sunday morning, Alex was late for his soccer game and the upstairs looked like Hurricane Maria had passed through . . . but no lizard, so then we set up heating stations and food and water stations in both rooms, but there's been no sign of him (and the dog kept eating the lizard food, a yucky reconstituted vegetable paste) and while I'm sad about Bossk's probable demise, I'm also sort of glad my kids learned this lesson-- because this is at least the third time they've lost the lizard in this manner . . . I found it once clinging to the wall behind a bookcase; so hopefully they've learned that you can't leave a loose lizard unattended (and it's hard for me to actually be angry about this, because my track record with lizards is absolutely awful-- my room mate Rob and I had one in college, which we tried to keep in a wooden bird cage because we liked the aesthetic, but it promptly escaped-- three weeks later it crawled out from wherever it was hiding and died on the rug . . . then, after college, when I was living in a shitty house on Route 18 with eight other people, I had a monitor lizard and when I was away on vacation, someone kicked the heat rock plug out and it froze to death . . . because we were living in a house with no insulation, not an ideal habitat for a tropical creature . . . so anyway, we'll probably replace Bossk with a similar critter and hopefully my kids will keep a better eye on his successor, but-- judging by their ability to learn from their mistakes, I'm not particularly optimistic).

8 comments:

Whitney said...

That seems like revisionist history regarding the demise of the monitor.

Dave said...

admittedly, if there's one thing this blog is about, it's revisionist history, but that's really how i remember it going down.

Whitney said...

Fair enough. I will leave tales of car exhausts and big rocks to the OBFT.

Dave said...

that was a different lizard, an iguana. not sure if i told that tale here, but it's a sordid one. i also left out the whole wainwright lunchmeat/lizard abduction debacle.

Dave said...

i alluded to that story, but probably never got into the gory details.

https://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2013/10/where-do-you-draw-fe-line.html

Whitney said...

I stand corrected. So many lizards, so many lizard deaths.

zman said...

Maybe you shouldn't have pets.

Dave said...

how about children?

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.