Quest for Pizza . . . Old Bridge Edition

My Quest for Pizza continues . . . my friend Stacey, who is an Old Bridge local, recommended General Saloon and the pizza is pretty good: thin crust, yummy bacon, but a little too much cheese . . . I think if we requested light on the cheese this pizza would have been excellent, and it was quite good despite the cheesiness . . . the place itself has a pleasant and comfortable pub-like vibe-- you can bring the kids for lunch and it looks like a fun place to see a band at night; after a hike with the dog at John A. Philips Preserve, I tried another highly recommended Old Bridge pizza spot: Krispy Pizza . . . and I love the name-- there's nothing more American than spelling shit wrong-- and the pizza is good as well, thin crust . . . my plain slice was a tad greasy, but still very tasty; the chicken on the buffalo chicken slice was awesome, crumbly and tender, and the sauce was fairly spicy . . . but Shanahan's Bakery is still my favorite place to grab a slice in the vicinity . . . who will oust them?

2 comments:

zman said...

I agree that a slice can be over-cheesed, causing the slice to lose its integrity and/or the cheese to slide off in a sheet, but I wonder if the cheese itself has anything to do with that. For example, if the cheese is really processed and has all sorts of artificial stuff in it, does that prevent it from melting properly and fully integrating into the slice? Or if the cheese is too oily or too watery, does that cause the crust to get too soggy and become unable to support the weight of the slice? You never see this issue with a margherita slice and those have fresh mootz, although I guess they also have a pretty limited amount of cheese.

Dave said...

this is way beyond my purview, cheese chemistry dynamics . . . i just eat the stuff-- although i do remember reading a book called "the thermodynamics of pizza"

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.