The Joe DiMaggio of Something

I always get a bit anxious right before I make the trip down to the annual Outer Banks Fishing Trip at my buddy Whitney's place in Kill Devil Hills-- this is year XXV and I've never missed one . . . it's a streak only matched by the host himself and our fraternity brother Rob (aka Squirrel) and I know that streaks are made to be broken and anything could happen-- I nearly missed last year's, I got sick on Friday and drove home Saturday with a 102 fever . . . if I had come down with that virus a few days earlier, I wouldn't have gone-- and since I don't believe in voodoo or jinxes, I'll be honest: anything could happen between now and tomorrow: I could break my leg at soccer practice tonight, or get hit by lightning; someone in my family could come down sick or worse (I have a 95 year old grandmother) and there's car troubles and house troubles and dog troubles . . . this is a solo trip, not a family vacation, and so it's dispensable if need be . . . so wish me the best of luck-- I'm getting all packed up today; I just purchased the giant sized bottle of Espolon Tequila-- my wife says it looks like a joke prop-- it was on sale and the sale was so good I'm not going to reveal the location, and when the young lady with a nose-ring behind the counter got a look at the bottle, she said to me: "Planning to get messed up?" and I'm bringing lots of other leisurely beach stuff as well: guitar, tennis racquet, Spikeball, corn-hole bags . . . so hopefully things will go well and I'll make it down without incident . . . thirty-one more years and I'll equal Joltin' Joe (and I apologize in advance, there will probably be some drivel here for the next few days).

6 comments:

rob said...

spikeball!

also, this sentence is definitive proof that dave doesn't believe in jinxes.

rob said...

it'll actually take 31 years to reach joltin' joe. but only 18 years to go to reach wee willie keeler's streak - the record that dimaggio broke. let's shoot for that one. it's more my speed.

Whitney said...

You would like Wee Willie Keeler.

Also, technically the cottage is in Nags Head.

Can’t wait for you guys to get here!

rob said...

of course i like wee willie keeler, as you like fats domino and balding jones.

balding jones might be a fictional character.

Dave said...

i blame all the errors on the pressure of the streak. thirty-one more years might be tough-- wee willie keller it is . . .

Marls said...

Balding Jones is the best

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.