Smile . . . It's Thanksgiving (and, hopefully, you weren't molested by the head brother)

I felt slightly betrayed at the end of Roddy Doyle's new novel Smile . . . the narrator and the narration unravel into a metafictional mess . . . there are plenty of clues along the way that this is going to happen, but it was still rough reading; I wanted the narrator to get over his abuse at the hands of the Christian Brothers, I wanted his psyche to escape unscathed, I wanted Fitzpatrick to be a harmless barfly, but--alas-- it was not to be so . . . enough, I'm already spoiling things, but be forewarned . . . if you want something a little less heavy, Irish shenanigans and such, then read Doyle's The Barrytown Trilogy . . . The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Excited for today's SoD.

Dave said...

me too! it's a landmark. do you owe me a case of beer or something?

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.