Paper Clips, Trombones, Safety Pins, Coat Hangers and Bicycles

My son Ian forgot his trombone at school, but he did drag home the innards of an old desktop tower style computer because he thought his brother would think it was cool, but his brother did not think it was cool and neither did I . . . what I do think is cool, however, is that the French word for paperclip is "trombone" because paper clips really do look like little trombones, and if you like thinking in this manner, then you'll really like Avram Davidson's 1958 sci-fi short story "Or All the Seas With Oysters" . . . safety pins are the larval form of coat-hangers, which eventually grow and transform into fully grown bicycles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wooden Clothes Hangers from Bizarkdeal

I purchased the J.S. Hangers because I was renovating my closet. I wanted to do away with the wire and plastic hangers I had accumulated. To my surprise the hangers are study, durable and made to last. I didn't have any problems hanging jackets, shirts, slacks, jeans, sweaters, dresses and skirts. I like that the hangers swivel so you never have to worry if your hangers are going in the same direction. Oh, I must mention the wood gain style is nice and elegant with a smooth finish. A nice feature about these hangers is that it can hold those spaghetti strap dresses and blouses because of the u-shaped bar. It's a great buy for the quality, look and feel of these hangers. I plan on buying more as I'm in the mood to redo all of my closets.

Anonymous said...

Was looking for the story... Wow! These people really missed the point!!

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.