An Autumn Miracle

Last week, I was walking home with the dog, annoyed that when I got back I would have to rake up all the wet leaves on my lawn and bag them-- in my book, the only thing worse than handling and bagging mounds of damp leaves is a pus-filled canker sore under the tongue-- but when I arrived, our lawn guy-- who only comes every two or three weeks, was blowing all the wet leaves off our lawn with an industrial strength leaf blower and he then vacuumed them all up and took them away . . . a well-timed serendipitous autumn miracle if I've ever seen one (and the opposite of the autumn disaster my brother and his friend conducted when they were in high school, they snuck out late at night and took all the leaves people had bagged-- and this was in North Brunswick, where the lawns are much bigger than Highland Park-- and they dumped the leaves back on people's lawns . . . and I'm hoping that none of those people read this blog and seek vengeance on my brother and his friend for this mischievous re-leafing).

2 comments:

rob said...

my procrastination paid off for me in a somewhat similar way this weekend, as i finally took care of my season-ending lawnmowing. which enabled me to grind up all the leaves and/or catch them in the mower's bag. i applauded myself for my efficiency.

Dave said...

nice-- you killed two plants with one mower

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.