Very Fine Gradients of Class Warfare

I know this isn't the best trait -- as a coach or an athlete -- and it has probably been handed down to me from my father . . . but whenever my team has away game in a town that appears to be much richer than my hometown, I ineluctably feel extra-motivated to give them a beatdown, and so as we entered lovely Basking Ridge, and drove past the rolling hills of Basking Ridge Country Club, I said to my son Ian, "We've got to kick these rich kids' butts today" and then -- as punishment for my classism -- when we got out of the car and Ian took a look at the opposing team, he said, loudly, in front of several Basking Ridge parents: "they don't look like rich kids" and I had to explain to him that we shouldn't say things like that (even though I did) but still, I am happy to report that we did indeed kick their butts, a great victory of a lower-upper middle class town over an upper-upper middle class town.

3 comments:

John C said...

If you can't beat them, there's always the option of urinating on the field or the the tire of the parents' luxury SUV.

Lecky said...

sounds like you loofahed their stretch marks. Well done!

Dave said...

we play elizabeth next week, so i am sure karma will be a bitch . . .

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.