It's A Miracle That I Convinced SomeoneTo Marry Me

Right now in my English class we are the "Process Analysis" unit, which is a fancy way to describe a "How To" essay -- and so I made the kids get up in front of the class and describe some simple but interesting process to the class . . . how to hit a forehand, how to tie a slipknot, how to do a pirouette, etc. -- and I told them I wanted them to try this informal teaching activity so that they didn't end up like me . . . back when I was in graduate school, I applied to teach for The Princeton Review -- they were paying seventeen dollars an hour back in 1993 -- and I aced the SAT practice test and made it to the second stage of the interview, where you had to teach a group of people some simple process of your choice . . . I suppose they wanted to see how well you could give instructions and interact with a crowd . . . and the folks before me taught simple lessons on "how to cure the hiccups" and "how to draw Mickey Mouse" and then I got up in front of the room and taught people about "the evolution of the wing," a topic that always fascinated me . . . because half a wing doesn't seem to confer much of an evolutionary advantage to an animal, but an entire wing opens up entirely new vistas for a species to thrive in . . . and there are several theories on how this came to be -- one involving heat-regulation -- and, needless to say, this turned into a typical Awkward Moment of Dave . . . the room fell silent, in awe of my pathetic geekiness and my complete misinterpretation of the assignment, the audience, and what other human beings like to learn about . . . and (also needless to say) I did NOT get the job.

3 comments:

zman said...

You would've got the job if you taught them how to fly.

Dave said...

"how to levitate" is a very popular google search.

Anonymous said...

But if you find yourself going off on long tangents about personal matters, it's time to get back on track. You have to find the right balance, and with practice you'll discover it. Anything that wouldn't be appropriate to say to a client in person or in an email shouldn't be included on a business blog.

[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.my-style.in/]NFL Jerseys[/url]


With a little bit more research and time from you, we are sure you'll come up with a profit-building blogging strategy!

[url=http://louisvuittonhandbags8.my-style.in/]lv bags[/url]

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.